By Estrella Z. Gallardo
The event titled “ROs meet Tech Gens” refers to the Technology generators supported by the Philippine Council for Agriculture, Aquatic and Natural Resources Research and Development (PCAARRD) and the Forest Products Research and Development Institute (FPRDI) presented their technologies and innovations to the representatives from the regional offices (ROs) of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) on February 4, 2019 at the Crimson Hotel, Alabang, Muntinlupa City.
“ROs meet Tech Gens” aims to fast-track the adoption and commercialization of DOST-funded technologies by engaging the ROs in the localized promotion of these innovations and in searching for potential adopters and investors within their regional coverage. It also serves as a preparatory activity for the upcoming Technology Transfer Day spearheaded by the Technology Application and Promotion Institute (TAPI) which happened on April 4, 2019.
This event is the second of its kind conducted by the DOST, with the first batch held last April 30, 2018 at the Food and Nutrition Research Institute (FNRI) headquarters in Bicutan, Taguig City. The first batch featured 24 technologies from the FNRI, Advanced Science and Technology Institute (ASTI), Industrial Technology Development Institute (ITDI), Philippine Textile Research Institute (PTRI), Philippine Nuclear Research Institute (PNRI), and Metals Industry Research and Development Center (MIRDC)
To orient the participants, TAPI’s Caezar Angelito E. Arceo provided and discussed the step-by-step guide in technology commercialization and adoption which includes the processing of the term sheets, issuance of the Fairness Opinion Report (FOR), and facilitating of the Technology Licensing Agreements (TLA).
A total of 14 technologies from PCAARRD and seven technologies from FPRDI were pitched to the DOST regional directors and technical staff. Below are the technologies that were featured during the event with their respective presenters/developers and implementing agencies:
- Coffee Moisture Meter (Engr. Arlene C. Joaquin, Philippine Center for Postharvest Development and Mechanization or PhilMech)
- Coffee Dryer (Engr. Robelyn Daquila/Developer: Dr. Romualdo C. Martinez, PhilMech)
- Coffee Depulper (Engr. Raymund Joseph P. Macaranas, PhilMech)
- Peanut Stripper with Pod Sorter (Dr. Jose D. Guzman, Cagayan State University or CSU)
- Peanut Sheller-Sorter (Dr. Jose D. Guzman, CSU)
- Micromix Biostimulant for Bell Pepper and Bittergourd (Dr. Mannix S. Pedro, University of the Philippines Los Baños or UPLB)
- Protein-Enriched Copra Meal (PECM) (Mr. Nico Dumandan/Developer: Dr. Laura J. Pham, UPLB)
- Kakawate Fertilizer for Chilli Pepper, Tomato, Cucumber, Eggplant, and Squash (Dr. Blesilda A. Calub, UPLB)
- Meat Detection Kit (Ms. Joy B. Banayo, UPLB)
- Queen’s Coal (Ms. Kathrina M. Pobre, Camarines Norte State College or CNSC)
- Queen Pineapple Bran (Dr. Sonia S. Carbonell, CNSC)
- Queen Pineapple Multi-Use Marinade (Dr. Lilibeth A. Roxas, CNSC)
- Integrated Mango Postharvest Facilities (Dr. Roger C. Montepio, University of Southeastern Philippines)
- Forage-Based Pellet Feeds for Goats (Dr. Edgar A. Orden, Central State Luzon University)
- Wine Barrel from Santol and other local wood species (Dr. Erlinda L. Mari)
- High-Value Charcoal Kiln from Bamboo (Engr. Amando Allan M. Bondad)
- Bamboo Veneer Lathe (Engr. Amando Allan M. Bondad)
- High-Pressure Sap Displacement System (Ms. Shirley A. Pelayo)
- Non-Wood Dryer (Ms. Wency H. Carmelo)
- Low-Cost Dryer cum Heat Treatment Facility (Ms. Wency H. Carmelo)
- DIY Bamboo Shelter (Dr. Rico J. Cabangon)
Romeo M. Javate, Officer-in-Charge for Investment and Business Operations Division (IBOD) of TAPI, presented a brief report on the accomplishments of previous Technology Transfer Days held in 2016-2018 after the pitching session.
DOST Undersecretary for Research and Development Rowena Cristina L. Guevara, DOST Undersecretary for Regional Operations Brenda Nazareth-Manzano, and TAPI Director Edgar I. Garcia were present in the event. (MegaManila Science Journalists)